Sunday, September 27, 2009

Becoming an Architect : To Do List

By me continuing the process of Becoming an Architect as opposed to being a New Student and Living in California, my first steps may be a little different from yours! But with any career it is wise to document what all you must do to become successful in that field. Once you've listed what it is that you need to do you can begin to tackle your to do list!


(Cast Architecture Glenageary Addition)

First I would like to apologize for not giving this blog as much attention as I probably should. It's just that it's kinda hard to get things moving without a JOB! LOL. This is the first to-do list I've put together in becoming a Licensed Architect by the age of 34!

-8 years post -secondary education and or work/experience

I have about 1 more year of education to go and I'll be qualified in this area.

-Work for 1 year under a licensed Architect.

-Complete the comprehensive Intern Development Program.

I was excited to find out there were some firms in my area that participates in IDP program! Yes, I can't wait to contact them about open oppurtunities with their firms. But as I stated before it'll be another year before I can apply for that!

Christopher McFadden Architect
Smith Consulting Architects
WWCOT/Mills Architects


-Take and pass the ARE.
Whom's prices are go going up up up from $170 to $210 per division,in which there are seven.
On 1 October 2009 the new rate of $210 per division will take effect. Candidates can schedule future exam appointments through 31 December 2009 at the current rate of $170 per division


Programming, Practice & Practice
Site Planning & Design
Building Design & Construction Systems
Schematic Designs
Structural Systems
Building Systems
Construction Documents & Services


(If you are in the field of Architecture what books do you recommend would be helpful in studying for the ARE)

-Take and pass the CSE.

I'm not sure what all that is yet! But I'll get back with you on it!

As you can probably tell there are some really big steps I'm going to have to take before I can become an licensed Architect in the State of California! In the meantime I'm going to start my NCARB record (a database that keeps track of your educational and work experience that qualifies you for ARE testing). Like with anything there are fees ($285/$100 for students upfront or recent graduated within 6 months) associated with this process!

I can't wait to start tackling my To-Do list. In fact I feel better already!

Sincerely,

Aspiring Architect

No comments:

Post a Comment